Volunteer Projectionist Role Description
Duties and Responsibilities Our projectionist volunteers are vital in enabling films to be shown at the David Lean Cinema. You will perform an important role ensuring a high quality of presentation at the cinema and ensure that our customers have an enjoyable and positive experience. You will need to:
- Be available to check equipment and programme at least 30 minutes before the screening
- Set up the digital projection equipment
- Operate projection and sound equipment to provide the best possible presentation quality
- ‘Ingest’ content, films, trailers etc. into the cinema server
- Make minor last minute changes to the programme, such as changing trailers, as may be required by the Campaign Director
- Be vigilant at all times, with regard to the safety and security of customers, colleagues and yourself and report any problems quickly and clearly.
Time Commitment Opportunities for projectionist duties exist during all scheduled performances as given in the film programme.
Film times are normally 11am, 2.30 and 7.30pm. We ask projection volunteers to arrive at least 30 minutes before commencement and remain throughout the screening.
Desirable Qualities You must be willing to learn and have good spoken communication skills. Some experience with IT and/or AV equipment would be an advantage. You need to be reliable, punctual, calm, friendly and polite. Most of our volunteers have an interest in film.
Projection volunteers must wear an identifying David Lean t-shirt.
Training Projectionists will be given a general introduction to volunteering at the cinema, all relevant training regarding the projection procedure and several sessions shadowing an experienced volunteer. If you are suitable for the role you will be scheduled onto the projection team.
How does it work?
Our head projectionist asks volunteers for their availability on a monthly basis and most do 1 or 2 sessions a month. Sometimes a volunteer is unable to come for their duty after the schedule is compiled and then the head projectionist will contact others who were available and ask them to fill in.
What to do now? If you would like to become part of the team, simply click on “Contact Us” in the website menu and give us some details about yourself including your phone number and the role you are interested in. Please include “Volunteers” in the subject line. We’ll get back to you.