Volunteer Steward Role Description
Duties and Responsibilities You will perform an important role as the public face of the Save the David Lean Cinema Campaign before, during and after a film screening, ensuring that our customers have an enjoyable and positive experience. Our volunteers are vital in enabling films to be shown at the David Lean Cinema.
- Directing customers to cinema facilities
- Providing particular assistance, if required to customers with specific access requirements, including use of the assisted hearing system
- Checking tickets and showing customers to their seats
- Assisting latecomers and remaining in the auditorium throughout the film
- Assisting customers after screenings, checking for lost property and litter
- Being vigilant at all times, with regard to the safety and security of customers, colleagues and yourself and reporting problems quickly and clearly.
Time Commitment Opportunities for stewarding exist during all scheduled performances as per film programme. Film times are usually 11am, 2.30 and 7.30. Volunteer stewards should arrive 45 mins before commencement and stay until the patrons have left the cinema.
Desirable Qualities Experience of working with the public and an interest in film are useful. You need to be reliable, punctual, friendly and polite. You must be willing to take responsibility for seeking assistance/acting during any emergency and keeping calm. Stewards must wear an identifying David Lean t-shirt.
Training Stewards will be given training, which will cover all necessary information relating to the role. New stewards shadow the role with an experienced steward during their initial shifts.
How does it work?
Our Volunteer Co-ordinators ask stewards for their availability on a monthly basis and most do 1 or 2 sessions a month. Sometimes a volunteer is unable to come for their duty, for a variety of reasons, and then the person doing the monthly schedule will contact others who were available and ask if they could fill in.
What to do now? If you would like to become part of the team, simply click on “Contact Us” in the website menu and give us some details about yourself including your phone number and the role you are interested in. Please include “Volunteers” in the subject line. We’ll get back to you.